Mr. Brockman is a licensed criminal defense attorney located in Chicago Illinois. His practice focuses on defending against charges ranging from misdemeanor traffic violations to serious felonies. Mr. Brockman also handles family law matters including divorce and custody.
Mr. Brockman represents clients from the moment they encounter a legal issue, until the matter is resolved. Depending on the facts of the case, and needs of the client, this may include: a trial, expungement or sealing where applicable, and potentially the appeal process.
Where We Practice
The Law Office of Chris R. Brockman is located in Chicago, Illinois. While Mr. Brockman primarily practices in Cook County, he also serves surrounding counties including DuPage , Will, and Kankakee Counties. Please follow the link below to contact us for more information.
Chris Brockman – Criminal Law Attorney Chicago
If you’ve been charged with a crime in Chicago, you need an experienced criminal defense attorney to help you navigate Illinois’ criminal-justice system. A defense lawyer can make sure your rights are protected throughout the process, helping you to avoid conviction or reduce the final sentence imposed.
The Law Office of Chris R. Brockman is a criminal defense law firm with an emphasis on serving the Englewood and Austin neighborhoods in Chicago. Chris’s experience in defending those accused of a crime includes a wide range of cases, from traffic infractions to murder. You can rely on Chris’s expertise and experience to provide effective counsel for any criminal matter.
Types of Crimes
Criminal law cases are those in which the state prosecutes the alleged criminal for violating legal prohibitions, seeking to impose fines or a prison sentence to punish that behavior.
The Law Office of Chris R. Brockman can help individuals charged with any Illinois crime, including:
- Drug offenses
- Firearm offenses
- Drunk driving
Stages of an Arrest
If you have been arrested or charged with a crime, regardless of whether you committed it, it can be a life-changing event resulting in significant fines and a lengthy term of imprisonment. Your best defense when facing criminal charges is hiring an experienced Chicago criminal defense lawyer like Chris R. Brockman.
Understanding when you need to hire an Illinois criminal defense attorney is critical to your success in defeating a criminal charge. The short answer is that you need a lawyer as soon as possible. A longer answer requires looking at the earliest stages of an arrest and prosecution:
- The arrest: The police will notify you that you are under arrest and take you into custody.
- Miranda warning: When the police first arrest you, they will read you what are known as your Miranda Among these rights are three that are critical for your defense: You have the right to remain silent, to consult with an attorney, and to have that attorney present during questioning. You should take advantage of all three.
- Pre-charge custody: After arrest, the police can hold you in custody for 48 hours while gathering sufficient evidence to press criminal charges.
- Initial appearance and bail hearing: After you have been charged with a crime, you will appear before a judge. The judge will inform you of the crime with which you are accused and set the amount of a bail bond. This is the amount of money you must pay to be released from custody pending further court proceedings. A lawyer can help to reduce this amount so that you will not be held prior to trial.
Throughout this process, you can rely on Chicago criminal defense lawyer Chris R. Brockman to fully investigate the facts of your case and build the strongest defense he can. Chris will use those facts to negotiate with the prosecutor to avoid a conviction or decrease your sentence, if possible.
Civil law covers noncriminal cases that may require filing a lawsuit. We help clients with a wide range of contract disputes and understand that they can encompass a variety of legal matters. Common sources of these disputes include contracts or contractual provisions. Some of the civil law cases that Chris handles involve:
- Breach of a business contract
- Commercial disputes
- Entertainment & Music industry claims
Breach of a Business Contract
Breach of a business contract occurs when a party to a business contract fails to fulfill its contractual obligations. The party’s breach usually causes financial losses to other parties to the contract. Under Illinois law, anyone injured by another’s breach of contract is entitled to compensation for those losses, which can include:
- Liquidated damages, specified in the terms of the contract
- Repayment or restitution as a result of the cancelled contract
- Compensatory damages
Your Options in a Breach of Contract Case
When you discover that someone you signed a contract with has breached that contract, contact the Law Office of Chris R. Brockman to help you recover for your financial injury. Chris will seek a suitable solution for any breach of contract, ensuring you get the remedy you deserve. In pursuing your claim, Chris may:
- Arrange for mediation or arbitration between the parties to resolve the dispute out of court
- File suit in small claims court for a quick resolution of disputes involving small sums
- File suit in the circuit court for cases involving larger amounts.
Commercial & Entertainment Industry
Legal disputes of all kinds can arise in the commercial context, including the entertainment and music industries. The Law Office of Chris R. Brockman offers representation for both businesses and individuals in connection with commercial disputes. Today’s fast-paced business world is demanding. The outcome of a contract dispute can significantly impact a business and its survival. We handle contract litigation for businesses of all sizes and sophistication. Common sources of these disputes include contracts or contractual provisions involving:
- Revenue provisions
- Supplies and suppliers
- Timeliness of delivery and quality of goods or products
- Real estate
- Rights of first refusal
- Trading contracts
- Gaming and software development
- Shareholder issues
- Bank and brokerage
- Commercial notes
- Partnerships and LLCs
- Implied agreements
Our staff understands that these are serious legal matters that could have a significant impact on your business’s daily operations. We work closely with you to minimize the negative side effects of these disputes, resolving them quickly and efficiently.